Information for childminders...
Are you thinking of becoming a childminder?
Have a look on your local council's website. You may hear your council also referred to as 'local authority' or 'LA'. Some LAs offer extensive support and stipulate certain requirements, like naming specific childminding training and safeguarding courses for you to complete. If you can't find the information on their website, try ringing and ask to speak to the Early Years Team.
Sometimes we just need someone to bounce ideas off, which can be tricky as a childminder working alone. There are some great closed Facebook groups if you search for 'childminders'. Friendly Childminders is one that I established at the end of 2018 and it's a lovely online community, where you can ask the daft questions and get advice.
Please be mindful when using social media. Stick to the rules of groups, observe safeguarding and confidentiality policies and use your common sense.
In addition to online communities, find out about local groups and events that you can attend with mindees. You may even find playgroup sessions specifically for childminders, which may help you get to know local minders!
Website links will open in new windows and Sam is not responsible for their contents.
The information on this page is based on Sam's experiences and is her own advice.
- Their 'Becoming a Childminder Section' is particularly good
- Government website providing lots of information, including pre-registration visit
- Ofsted's Presentation for those looking to become childminders
- Ofsted's Handbook for Inspections
- Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years
- Great for advertising and finding families
- Gov website with lots of information for childcare providers and parents
- Information on funding and childcare costs
- Statutory document
- Also see EYFS
- Working Together to Safeguard Children
- Non statutory document that helps practitioners implement the Early Years
- Parents' guidance to help understand their children's learning
- Support and information about the Early Years